Monday, September 25, 2006

Fala portuguêse, por favor!

There are a lot of difficult things about engaging a new culture, but perhaps none so difficult and confidence-testing as learning a foreign language.

Laura and I have been working hard to learn Portuguese. For me, it's a part of my daily routine. I am attending one-on-one classes three days a week, and spending two days a week conversing with Mario, a Mozambican national, for practice.

I also try watching the news, though I pick up little of what is said, and attend meetings in Portuguese for practice. I have a grade four history reader that I am working through, which has provided good cultural learning as well as language learning.

I can understand a handful of words, and can speak even fewer.

I sometimes wish that I had have spent more time learning Portuguese before I came here, and other times wish that I could just "download" the new language, Matrix-style.

Laura has been very busy at her English-language high school, but has found two hours a week to meet with a woman who is teaching her as well.

Language learning is certainly tough slogging. It may very well be one of the most difficult things I've ever had to do.

Of course, I'm making progress. Last week, I successfully went to a photocopier store on my own and asked how much it would cost to photocopy an entire spiral-bound notebook, and then proceeded to ask the clerk to do so. All in Portuguese. A small victory.

It takes much time and energy to learn a language, and I've been trained to expect immediate results. Why am I not fluent in just five weeks? The truth is, I should be happy to be conversant in a couple of months.

I have sat in on several classes offered by the local Maputo City Church to teach English to Mozambican nationals. I have heard the people in that class labour over the pronunciation of words, seen them scratch their heads in search of their meanings, wrestle with verb conjugation, and struggle to express themselves in a brand new language. They see great opportunity in learning English, and are extremely motivated learners. I rarely hear a word of Portuguese in those classes.

What an example they set for me as I learn Portuguese!

I have also come to realize that learning Portuguese is an exercise that pays dividends far beyond the direct benefit of being able to speak with people in their language. Mozambicans respect us for taking an interest in their culture, and for investing the time needed to develop language skills.

The bridge that is built through this learning experience is a healthy one: Mozambicans have the opportunity of seeing us in a position of weakness relative to themselves. They get to see the wealthy foreigner struggle.

The relationships that will blossom as a result of this struggle will be well worth the effort, I trust.

No comments: