Sunday, November 26, 2006

Answered Prayer: Relationships

By Laura

Before leaving Toronto, my prayer was that I would develop meaningful relationships while here in Maputo, especially with women, and that I would feel a sense of living in Christian community.

Women are relational beings. When blessed with friends with whom they can share their joys and frustratrations with no fear of being rejected, they feel able to thrive, able to really be themselves. In the book Captivating, John Eldredge shares this thought: "Whatever else we know about women, we know they are relational to their cores. While little boys are killing one another in mock battles on the playground, little girls are negotiating relationships... This is so second nature to them, so assumed by women, that it goes unnoticed by them. They care more about relationships than just about anything else."

I am just like any other woman, and so my prayer was to be able to develop deep relationships. As a Christian, it is also my desire to be able to share with and learn from other Christians; to the able to grow closer to Christ by being stretched and encouraged by other believers.

God has answered both of these requests through one very special group of women. Ever since my first week here, I have been a member of a women's Bible study group. I say a 'member' because these women accepted me and made me feel like I had always been a regular participant even my first time out. They are missionaries, mostly from the United States, from all different organizations. We all have several key things in common: we have left comfort, family and friends to be in Maputo, Mozambique; we love the Lord Jesus; we are trying to serve him here; and we have a lot to learn.

What I have enjoyed the most about these women is their acceptance and openness. They share about frustrations and discouragement. All in the group have experienced these, but there are always those have seen the other side and can offer encouragement, support, and wisdom. They also share about the things they have learned over the weeks about themselves or God or both. They share about the difficult, humbling lessons, as well as the joyful, uplifting lessons.

We just finished a study by Beth Moore called 'Believing God'. I had never heard of Beth Moore, but she is a very popular speaker/author in the southern United States. We would watch her talk for an hour on DVD (although the word 'talk' is deceiving -- she is very animated!) and then we would complete a workbook with readings and questions throughout the week. When I first heard Beth Moore, I admit I was skeptical (the word 'animated' is perhaps not strong enough.. :), but I have thoroughly enjoyed this study. She has a humble spirit, great faith, and provides wonderful insight in a captivating and humourous way. I have learned so much and it has stretched my perceptions of God and what faith can be. The study is based on five principles that appear simple, but have far reaching implications if truly believed:

1) God is who He says He is; 2) God can do what He says He can do; 3) I am who God says I am; 4) I can do all things through Christ; 5) God's Word is alive and active in me.

I feel that I still have a long way to go before I am really living my life in the truth of these statements. But I am encouraged to know that God cares more that we set our eyes on him and keep moving forward, than how long it takes to get there!

We have not yet started our next study (it takes a while to acquire materials in Mozambique) so in the meantime we are meeting to share and sing and pray. Praise God!

No comments: