Saturday, April 21, 2007

Slaying Apathy

We can't help but stare need in the face. And I must admit that sometimes it is tiring. It's tiring looking like the rich man in a poor country. Tiring being the rich man in a poor country.

And sometimes that fatigue crosses the line into the deadly territory of apathy.

I briefly stumbled across that line yesterday.

A young man stopped me on the side of the road and asked for some food. "I don't need money," he said, "I'm hungry. I have AIDS, and I take free anti-retrovirals from Doctors Without Borders, but I don't have food."

He pulled out a card that documents his illness, but the proof was in his sunken, hollowed out face. He was definitely ill.

And yet that little fraud-busting voice whispered a protest in my head. The one that is well-atuned to scams in Canada. The one that has decided that every story I hear on the street is spun in an effort to rip me off.

I nearly walked away. I even told him that I hadn't anything for him.

I could have walked away. I could have gone home, emptied my pockets of my coins and stacked them on my bedroom dresser where they would sit unused. I could have spent an extra ten minutes sitting at my computer working on well-intentioned micro-enterprise something-or-other, theorizing about how I could improve the lives of those unfortunate people around me.

Or, just as likely, I could have used the time to read one more article in today's newspaper.

But then who would have helped him?

Fortunately for that young man, my apathy was washed away by a shower of better judgment. How can you sit comfortably in your office and make plans for rescuing these people if you won't even look this man in the eye and offer him the assistance he's requesting?

That was the voice of God. I could nearly feel His hand reaching down from the heavens and grabbing me by the shirt collar.

It's not like I don't do anything, I protested. Isn't that why I'm here? Earlier this week I even bought a bushel of bananas just to leave beside the garbage dumpster so that the scavengers would have a decent meal. I'm doing good, aren't I?

I didn't need to ask this man what consolation it would be to him that I had helped someone else another day. He needed my help right then, and I was able to provide it. Perhaps I had to modify my schedule a little, and perhaps there would even be a moment or two of discomfort, but it was my turn to help.

Ok, I'll help, I conceded to my better judgment.

We walked together to a supermarket to purchase some food staples. Inside, the ghost of a man gathered enough strength to pick up a large bag of flour. The kind that is made of burlap so that it doesn't split open and spill its contents all over the aisle of the store. Large enough to feed him for a month, he told me.

We agreed on a smaller bag of flour, and added a bag of beans, and a bottle of cooking oil. If the large bag of flour would have fed him for a month, our new purchases should feed him for a week, but I think that exaggerates the quantity of my help. He would make it last a week, is more likely.

Something rose up within me today to slay the apathy that I felt. It's not being too dramatic to suggest that had it not been defeated, my apathy could very possibly have slayed this young man.

And I would have had an extra $4 on my dresser, and an additional ten minutes to put my feet up in the comfort of my padlocked apartment.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

You always have to think of WWJD .. don't understand why you didn't buy him the large bag. If you have to money to spare .. don't you think Jesus would want you to?

Steve said...

I struggle to know what Jesus would do in each situation. While he was here on Earth, his responses were often unconventional and unexpected.

I'm not sure that Jesus would have bought him the big bag. Does Jesus say to us, "I will fill your storehouses today so you stop your preoccupations with how you will eat tomorrow and can better focus on me?"

No -- he expects us, through faith, to trust in the promise that He will provide for us tomorrow. He doesn't give us tomorrow's food today.

Maybe there's good reason for that. God works best with people who are slightly vulnerable. People who recognize that they need Him.

Jesus doesn't always answer our requests in the affirmative, and I'm not so sure he would have responded to this young man's request exactly as it was asked, either.

My response isn't necessarily perfect. It's tainted by my own culture and background. And I certainly don't always act in a way that Jesus would.

It's a good question to ask, but I don't think that the answer is obvious.

Anonymous said...

I think you are awesome for taking the time to go there and help people. You are doing so much good.

I just think of Jesus being there for the "outcasts" and here is this guy who has proven to you he has AIDS. You even said you could see how sick he was. I just think .. how can this man provide for himself. How can he get the nutruition that even healthy people, let alone a very ill person to get his strength to live longer. It seems that he has been rejected before with asking for something by the fact he proves to you he has AIDS.I just feel so sad for this man.

I really believe that every person who walks in our lives, no matter where we are or who they are .. they are there through God and a lesson to be learned.

I know how difficult it is to be put on the spot and know what to do that second. Been there and have questioned myself.

Steve said...

I think you're absolutely right about being there and doing what Jesus would do on the spot!

It's difficult enough to reflect and discuss precisely what Jesus would do... Imagine if we could instinctively respond as Jesus would, on the spot, in the heat of the moment?

I must admit that sometimes I worry that my "knee-jerk" reaction is to cross over to the other side of the street. Isn't there a Bible story about that??

waynekuhn said...

I sometimes feel like the poor person in Canada competing with those that constantly strive to build wealth and forget why we are hear.
It's the little things we do that makes the day special.